A commercial building at 335 New Road caught fire just before 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, said South Brunswick police, and it was quickly extinguished because the building had sprinkler systems installed.
Chief Smith and Deputy Chief Sean Wert of the Monmouth Junction Volunteer Fire Department arrived just before 4:30 p.m. to find smoke coming from the building and water running from under the door of one of the commercial building’s suites.
Firefighters entered the building and extinguished a smoldering fire that was being contained by a single sprinkler head. Approximately 25 firefighters responded to the one-alarm fire. The fire was contained to storage inside the single business.
“If these buildings had not had activated sprinklers, the fires would have continued to grow and most likely both buildings would have been destroyed. These incidents prove that sprinkler systems save property and lives,” said Chief Smith.
Article published in the South Brunswick Patch, written By Carly Baldwin, Patch Staff on