Side-by-Side Grant Burn Demonstrations
Several Fire Departments will be kicking their fire safety programs up a notch during Fire Prevention Month in October, thanks to $1,000 grants awarded by the New Jersey Fire Sprinkler Advisory Board (NJFSAB) and the PenJerDel Chapter of the National Fire Sprinkler Association (NFSA).
The NJFSAB Side-by-Side Burn Demonstration Grant Program enhances fire safety education by providing the resources and funding to construct two, burn demonstration units. One unit is equipped with a fire sprinkler system and one without, to illustrate the speed at which fires can burn and the effectiveness of fire sprinklers in suppressing fires and ultimately saving lives and property. The fire department then hosts a burn demonstration for their community.
“The Side-by-Side Grant program is a great way to provide local fire departments, volunteer and professional, with access to the knowledge and resources they need to add a great tool to their fire prevention programs and better inform and protect the residents of the communities they serve,” said David Kurasz, Executive Director of NJFSAB and the PenJerDel Chapter of the National Fire Sprinkler Association (NFSA).
Grants were awarded to nine Fire Departments this year in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware. Here is the list of recipients and the demonstration dates:
- Lumberton Fire Department – Oct. 4, 7 p.m., 34 Municipal Dr., Lumberton, NJ (PenJerDel)
- West Windsor Fire and Emergency Services – Oct. 6, 11:30 a.m. & 2:30 p.m., 346 Clarksville Rd., Princeton Junction, NJ (PenJerDel)
- Tabernacle Fire Company #1 – Oct.7, 8 p.m., 76 Hawkin Rd., Tabernacle, NJ (PenJerDel)
- Washington Township Fire Department (Gloucester) – DATE CHANGE: Now Oct. 23, 7 p.m., 327 Fries Mill Rd., Turnersville, NJ (PenJerDel)
- Fair Lawn Fire Department – TBD late October (NJFSAB)
- Skippack Fire Company (PA) – Oct. 10, 8 p.m., 1230 Bridge Rd., Skippack, PA (PenJerDel)
- Limerick Fire Department (PA) – Was held in June (PenJerDel)
- Odessa Fire Company (DE) – Oct. 5, 12 p.m., 304 Main St. Odessa, DE (PenJerDel)
- Delaware Volunteer Firefighter’s Association Sprinkler Committee (DE) – Oct. 29, 6 p.m., 1461 Chestnut Grove Rd., Dover, DE (PenJerDel)
“The Grant program is one of the ways we fulfill our mission to educate the public about fire safety, and to increase awareness about the effective role fire sprinkler systems play in controlling and extinguishing fires and protecting our loved ones and property,” noted Kurasz.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has found that when fire sprinklers are installed in a home, they can reduce the risk of dying by 80 percent and reduce damage to property by 70 percent.
In addition to the Grant program, NJFSAB offers free Burn Trailer Demonstrations using a self-contained mobile unit for schools, youth organizations and community events. For more information visit SaveAndProtect.org or call: 1-866-226-6006.